I recently received a Christian newsletter that reads: “…if it were true that homosexuality is inherited then we would be futilely trying to help those get free from a God given propensity toward same sex attraction that could not be eradicated by any human effort, only by the omnipotent hand of God.”
My comments below are not a criticism of this ministry or their leaders. I simply want to reveal the Womb Theology behind such a statement and explain the danger of it.
But first, what is Womb Theology? And where does it come from?
(1) Our faith calls us to reduce abortions in our culture. In referring to “the sanctity of life,” we ascribe a revered sense of holiness to the womb. This is certainly warranted in the sense that the miracle of life begins in the womb.
(2) Our faith invokes the immaculate conception and virgin birth of Jesus. It is impossible to calculate just how much this amplifies our perception of the womb as a sort of holy of holies. Jesus is, after all, our Lord and Savior.
Womb Theology, then, is the collective influence of biblical ideas about the womb working together to form unconscious and unchallenged assumptions or ideas that become unbiblical. If taken to an extreme (legalism), it presumes that “the omnipotent hand of God” determines our every inborn trait. More specifically, every inborn characteristic necessarily is a “God given propensity.”
What is the problem with this, you ask?
Join me tomorrow when I will discuss the dangers of Womb Theology.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION:
Simply use the comment form below. You may elect to comment as
“Anonymous.” Share this article on Facebook, Twitter, Buzz or by email.
Reach Bill at (978) 212-9630.
Latest posts by Lead Them Home (see all)
- A Special Year-End Message from Bill Henson - December 21, 2018
- Guiding Families Pre-Orders! You’ve Got Mail! - May 17, 2018
- Bill Henson Welcomes Editorial Team for Guiding Families Launch Party! - May 16, 2018