I recently had a privileged opportunity: to share Lead Them Home’s Posture Shift seminar within an American Baptist Church that is primarily gay affirming in its posture. They are considering moving from “everyone is welcome” to “welcoming and affirming.”
They invited a denominational resource to present how to move to a “welcoming and affirming” church identity. They invited Lead Them Home to essentially share what a “faithful and welcoming” model looks like. Several themes emerged that gave me a deep sense of unity within Christianity.
(1) Even progressive (to liberal) Christians can struggle in relating to gay people. Many questions asked in liberal churches are identical to those asked in conservative churches. Nearly all Christians are asking how to have more productive and less offensive spiritual dialogue with gay people.
(2) Even evangelical churches are striving to offer a
spiritual home for LGBT+ people. Sometimes liberal Christians are surprised to learn that many of their efforts to share the Gospel with gay people are also being done in very conservative settings.
(3) Even progressive (to liberal) Christians are much more concerned about
treating people in a loving manner rather than changing
their moral beliefs to a gay theological viewpoint.
(4) Even progressive (to liberal) Christians are concerned about their church identity. They want to be inclusive, but they often do not want to become “the gay church” in town. They want to attract conservative believers as much as LGBT+ persons.
I come away from this experience thanking God for, dare I say, a bit of unity across the belief gap. I also come away convinced that Posture Shift is a valuable resource across this spectrum.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION: Simply use the comment form below. You may elect to comment as “Anonymous.” Share this article on Facebook, Twitter, Buzz or by email. Reach Bill at (978) 212-9630.
Latest posts by Lead Them Home (see all)
- A Special Year-End Message from Bill Henson - December 21, 2018
- Guiding Families Pre-Orders! You’ve Got Mail! - May 17, 2018
- Bill Henson Welcomes Editorial Team for Guiding Families Launch Party! - May 16, 2018